Exploring Law Enforcement
Santa Monica Explorer Post #709
|What is Law Enforcement Exploring?
| Exploring is the young adult career
education program designed for men and women ages 14 through 21. Law Enforcement Exploring is a youth oriented
program, active in police agencies throughout the nation, that provides young
men and women the opportunity to learn about the various careers in law
enforcement by offering them actual experience and training. Explorers can take
part in crime prevention activities, community policing, traffic control,
ride-alongs, patrol procedures, disaster assistance, civic events, and many administrative duties within the
police department. Law Enforcement
Exploring is a hands-on career discovery program. Some program highlights include National Law
Enforcement exploring Leadership Academies, Career Achievement awards, and
- Be 14 - 18 years of age (at the time of application to the program)
- Be of good moral character
- Maintain a grade average of "C" or higher
- Not have a serious police record
- Be able to attend weekly Explorer meetings
- Successfully graduate from the South Bay Regional Law Enforcement Explorer Academy
- Be in good physical condition (Police Explorers must meet the same basic physical requirements as Police Officers)
| What is the Application Process?
- Attend three consecutive weekly meetings to obtain an application packet
- Complete the application packet and personal written history and bring it to an Explorer meeting
- Successfully complete an oral interview
- Candidates will also be evaluated on their maturity, interest in law enforcement, and ability to effectively assist the Santa Monica Police Department
- Pass a background investigation
After acceptance into the program, initial training takes place at the South Bay Regional Law Enforcement Explorer Academy. You are required to successfully complete the academy in order to become a member of the Explorer Post. The academy consists of twelve consecutive Saturdays and includes over 120 hours of instruction.
Explorers meet every Monday evening from 5:00 - 7:00 pm. Meetings are held at the Public Safety Facility (333 Olympic Dr., Santa Monica, CA 90401). Please call 310-434-2627 to verify there is a meeting scheduled before attending. For additional information you may contact Explorer Advisor Suzie Lockwood at 310-434-2627.
| *While Police Explorers are considered volunteers, they are completely insured while in training and on duty.