Anthrax & Biological Threats - Identifying Suspicious Letters or Packages
Some characteristics of suspicious packages and letters include the following
· Excessive postage
· Handwritten or poorly typed addresses
· Incorrect titles
· Title, but no name
· Misspellings of common words
· Oily stains, discolorations or odor
· No return address
· Excessive weight
· Lopsided or uneven envelope or packaging
· Protruding wires or aluminum foil
· Excessive security material such as masking tape, string, etc.
· Visual distractions
For more information please visit the Bomb Threat page.
If you work in a mailroom or receive a suspicious letter:
· Wash your hands with antibacterial soap and warm water before and after handling the mail.
· Disposable latex gloves may be appropriate, especially if you have open cuts or skin lesions on your hands.