What To Do in a Car Accident
First, try to AVOID an accident:
- Always keep a safe distance from the car in front of you. Increase this distance even more during rainy or foggy conditions.
- Allow rude or impatient drivers to pass. Stay clear of weaving or reckless drivers, and avoid passing them if possible.
- Do not react to a driver who has become hostile. Avoid making eye contact or gesturing.
In case of accident, IMMEDIATELY:
- Proceed to a safe area such as a service station or well-lit parking lot. Motion for the other driver to do the same.
- Conceal and secure any valuables before exiting your vehicle.
- Write down the names, addresses and phone numbers of all persons involved and all witnesses. Also write down their vehicle description including the license plate.
- Notify the local police if there are injuries, if traffic is obstructed, or if the other driver appears to be intoxicated. If there are no injuries, move the vehicles to the curb if possible.
- Notify your insurance company when practical. Fill in the following:
- Insured by:
- Policy No: