Halloween Safety Tips
Halloween is a special time of year for both children and adults.
To help parents make Halloween safe, the Santa Monica Police Department offers the following safety tips to ensure a “howling” good time for all!
- Try to Trick-or-Treat while there is still sun light outside.
- Wear a costume that makes it easier for you to walk, see, and be seen.
- If you must be out at night, make sure that your costume is light in color.
- Carry a flashlight with you, so you can see and be seen easily.
- Use reflective tape on your costume to be seen easily.
- Use makeup instead of a mask.
- A mask may keep you from seeing well. Take off your mask before crossing the street.
- If someone older cannot go with you, Trick-or-Treat with a group.
- Plan your Trick-or-Treat route ahead of time. Pick well lighted streets. Tell your family which streets you will be on.
- Cross only at corners. Never cross between parked cars or mid-block.
- Wait until you get home to sort, check and eat your treats.
- Parents should help children check all candy. Unwrapped or unsealed candy should not be eaten.
The Santa Monica Police Department wants everyone to have a safe and enjoyable Halloween! If you have any questions, please contact the Community Relations Unit at 310.458.8474.